Virginia Commonwealth University

Post-9/11 GI Bill: Transferability

What is transferability?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty, or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child.  Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, the transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services.

Visit the GI Bill Web Site for details about this program »

For a listing of the rate tables »

Submitting a Request to Transfer Benefits

  1. Using your Common Access Card (CAC) or Defense Finance Accounting Service pin (DFAS), log on to the DoD Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) Web page located at
  2. Once your request is approved, your family member has to submit a request for a COE to the VA through the Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP).
  3. After receiving the COE from the VA, family members should submit the COE along with the VCU Veterans Administration Education Assistance and Veterans Educational Benefits Transfer Credits Evaluation forms to Veterans Certification in the Office of Records and Registration.
  4. If your family member has not received the COE from the VA when they enroll in school, they should still submit the VCU Veterans Affairs Education Assistance form to Veterans Certification to certify enrollment for the academic term.
  5. Tuition funds will be sent directly from the VA to the school.
More Resources

Records & Registration

Harris Hall
1015 Floyd Ave., 1st Floor
P.O. Box 842520
Richmond, VA 23284

Phone: (804) 828-1349
Fax: (804) 828-8121

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

PDF Forms