Virginia Commonwealth University


VCU Students

Course Request
Military Services Tuition
Take Courses at Another Institution
Cancel Your Registration
Historical Repeat Course Option
Grade Exclusion Policy


An overload consists of taking over these limits of credits per semester:

Undergraduate - 19 credit hours
Graduate - 15 credit hours

Overload Approval Form

Modify Student Courses

Add/Drop Period
For Fall & Spring semesters the add/drop period lasts one week, the first week of classes.  For Short Courses (courses that fall outside of the published start and end date of a semester) during this period the add/drop deadline is the day following the first day of a given class.  During the summer, the add/drop deadline is the day following the first day of a given class.

After the add/drop period and through the end of the first 10 weeks of classes, students can withdraw from classes using eServices.  Failure to withdraw from classes by the end of the first 10 weeks of classes could result in the assignment of failing grades in all or some of the courses.  The final withdrawal date for courses whose meeting dates do not conform to the semester calendar is the day when one-half of the courses have been completed.  If administrative withdrawals are assigned by the faculty for a course(s) that a student has never attended and the student has supporting documentation, the student can petition to the Academic Regulations Appeals Committee to change the withdraw to a drop.  Students should contact their dean's office to initiate the process.  Changes to a student’s registration status could have an impact on the receipt of financial aid.

Medical withdrawals
Prior to the last day to withdraw, students should withdraw from classes using eServices.  After the last day to withdraw and before the end of the semester, students may request a medical withdrawal.  Students should take supporting medical documentation to their dean's office for approval.  If approved, the dean’s office will forward the documentation to Records and Registration for processing.  After the semester has ended, students will have to appeal to the Academic Regulations Appeals Committee for a medical withdrawal.

Repeat Course Option
If a student repeats a course in which a "D" or "F" was earned on the first attempt; the student may request that only the better grade be counted in computing their cumulative GPA. This option can be used for the removal of only one grade of "D" or "F" and the subsequent credit hours per course from the computation of the cumulative GPA. However, the removed grade will still appear on the student's academic record but will not influence their GPA. This option is not available for graduate courses. A Historical Repeat Form must be submitted in order to request the repeat course option.


A hold is a block that prevents students from either registering for classes, accessing their student records, or both. Students may view their holds on-line via eServices. To get a hold removed students must contact the department that placed the hold and make arrangements to have it removed. If a student has a hold that prevents registration and wishes to drop or withdraw from courses, they must go in person to the Student Services Center or the MCV Campus Records and Registration Office.

An override allows a student to bypass class size, class and major restrictions and time conflicts. Overrides can be obtained from the course department chair. Paper overrides must be presented to the Student Services Center or the MCV Campus Records and Registration Office.

Overload of Classes
Over 19 hours is considered an overload for undergraduate students, and over 15 hours is considered an overload for graduate students.  An Overload Approval Form must be presented to the Student Services Center  or the MCV Campus Records and Registration Office before a student will be allowed to register for an overload.

Overload for Tuition Purposes
An undergraduate student enrolled for more than 18 credits during any semester will be charged an overload tuition fee. A graduate student enrolled for more than 15 credits during any semester will be charged an overload tuition fee.