Virginia Commonwealth University

Frequently Asked Questions

About the university | Personal information | Registration | Graduation | Transcripts

General questions about the university

How can I apply to VCU?
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (804) 828-1222, or write to P.O. Box 842526, Richmond, Va. 23284-2526. Graduate students should contact the Graduate School at (804) 828-6916 or write to P.O. Box 843051, Richmond, Va. 23284-3051. Prospective undergraduate students also can apply online via the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

If I want to attend VCU but not seek a degree, what do I do?
Come to the Student Services Center or the MCV Campus Records and Registration Office and apply as a non-degree or degree-holding student. This will allow you to register as a non-degree seeking student.

How can I get information on a particular department?
The university bulletins have general information about departments. For in depth information, students should visit the particular department. Go to the University Bulletins site.

Where can I get an ID?
Students can get a VCUCard in the VCUCard Office for the appropriate campus. VCU Card Offices are located in the Technology Administration Building on the Monroe Park Campus and Sanger Hall on the MCV campus.

Do I have to let anyone know I am not coming back to VCU next semester?
If a student does not intend on returning and has advanced registered then they should drop those courses. If a student has not advanced registered then they are not required to notify anyone that they will not be returning to school. However, if students do not attend classes for three or more successive fall and spring semesters, they will have to re-apply to the university if they wish to return.

What is the school code?
The VCU school code is 003735.

When do I take math/foreign language placement tests?
Incoming freshmen and transfer students can take placement tests during new student orientation. Orientation dates & schedules can be found online through New Student Programs and Orientation.

Back to top ^

Questions about your personal information

How do I change my address?
Changes to the permanent, local, and billing addresses can be made using eServices, in-person or by writing to Records and Registration.  This information cannot be taken over the telephone or by e-mail.

How do I specify a billing address that is different from my permanent address?
You may specify a different billing address by using eServices or contacting Student Accounting. This information cannot be taken over the telephone or by e-mail.

If I do not want anyone to get information about me, what do I do?
Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a student can request that directory information not be released without the consent of the student. This request should be made no later than fourteen days after the beginning of the semester. All that is required is a signed written request that "Directory Information" not be released.  If such a request is made, Records and Registration will not be able to verify attendance, earned degrees, or any other directory information without the consent of the student.  This request is effective until revoked in writing by the eligible student.

Back to top ^

Questions about registration

How can I get a schedule book?
The Schedule of Classes is available on the Web.

How can I register?
If you are a continuing student on the Monroe Park Campus, you can register via eServices, or come by the Student Services Center. School of Nursing and School of Allied Health students may also register via eServices. Other MCV Campus students can register at the Office of Records and Registration in the VMI Building. New non-degree seeking students must come in person for initial registration.

What are your office hours?
Monroe Park Campus/Harris Hall:
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Holiday and semester break hours may vary.

MCV Campus/VMI Building:
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Holiday and semester break hours may vary.

Where do I go to be advised?
Degree-seeking students should go to their adviser or department. If a student is an Undecided major, they should contact the University College. Non-degree seeking students should contact the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies.

How do I find out who my adviser is?
Students should go to the department of their majors to locate their advisers.

Back to top ^

Questions about graduation

When do I need to apply for graduation?
You should apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester in which all requirements are to be completed.

How do I apply for a degree?
Students will be notified by email of the graduation process and provided a link to the graduation application. Only students eligible to graduate will receive this email.

What is the difference between double majors and dual degrees? How do I indicate on the application for graduation that I am pursuing two degrees?
A double major is the concurrent fulfillment of the requirements of two majors. To earn a degree with two majors, the student must complete the courses required in each major, any collateral/prerequisite courses required for both majors and the general education requirements of the primary major.

Dual degrees are the concurrent fulfillment of the requirements of two majors and two degrees. To earn dual degrees, the student must fulfill all the requirements of the degree programs in both majors, the general education requirements of the primary degree and complete an additional 30 credit hours above the minimum hour degree requirement of the primary degree.

A separate graduation application must be filed for each major and degree the student plans to complete. Students should indicate double majors and dual degrees in the appropriate fields on each application.

After I have applied for the degree, how can I make changes to my application?
Students who wish to make changes on their application must notify the Graduation unit in the Office of Records and Registration. It is imperative that both the Graduation unit and the department be notified of any changes to majors, minors, and concentrations. Proper forms must be completed for approval.

How long after the ending date of the term do I have to complete degree requirements and still graduate that term?
All degree requirements must be completed prior to the graduation date.

If I have a question about meeting departmental requirements, with whom should I talk?
Students with questions about meeting departmental requirements should consult their academic advisor or another departmental representative.

What if I realize I am not going to complete my degree requirements by the end of the term for which I applied? What should I do?
Contact the Graduation unit in the Office of Records and Registration to remove the application, and then consult your advisor in the department for further instructions. Once a student has to complete additional coursework, the student must reapply for graduation in the semester that work is completed.

Can I "walk" during the spring commencement even though I have applied to graduate during the summer?
Yes, the student's dean may grant permission to participate in Commencement exercises; provided only when six or fewer credit hours are needed for completion of degree.

Can I graduate in the spring and still take a class in the summer?
Yes, however you must re-enroll as a non-degree seeker or be admitted to another degree program. Courses taken after the awarding of your degree cannot be applied to that degree program.

Is there a commencement ceremony for students who graduate in August?
No, there is no commencement ceremony held in August. August graduates are included in the December ceremony.

Will I receive my diploma at the commencement ceremony?
No. May, August and December diplomas are available for pickup during allotted times or mailed approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the graduation date. Please refer to the Commencement Website for up-to-date information.

Do students receive an additional diploma for a double major?
No. The double major will be noted on the student's transcript.

What is the size of the diploma?
The diploma is 11" X 14" and displayed horizontally.

May I walk in and pickup my diploma?
Yes, but you must notify the Graduation unit in the Office of Records and Registration before the diplomas are mailed out.

How do I graduate with honors?
Baccalaureate degrees with honors are conferred in accordance with the following cumulative grade point averages:

Cum Laude 3.30-3.59
Magna Cum Laude 3.60-3.89
Summa Cum Laude 3.90-4.00

These designations apply only to candidates who have completed 45 or more credit hours of course work at VCU. Calculation of the GPA for honors determination is based on grades received for all courses taken for credit at VCU, as well as for credits accepted for transfer at VCU.

Back to top^

Questions about transcripts

How do I get a transcript?
Records and Registration must have a written request with a name, student ID number, approximate dates of attendance, daytime phone and signature. Come to the Student Services Center or the MCV Campus Records and Registration Office and fill out a Transcript Request Form (pdf) or write to VCU, P.O. Box 842520, Richmond, Va. 23284-2520, (faxes are not accepted). The transcript will be available in five working days, except during peak periods when we ask that you please allow five to ten working days. These peak periods are usually at the beginning and end of each semester.

Students and recent alumni can also request an official transcript by logging into eServices.  A transcript fee of $5 per copy applies, and a credit card payment is required to complete your order. Online requests are processed within 2 business days after your request is made. Students and alumni with financial holds will not be able to request a transcript.

How much does a transcript cost?
The charge for transcripts is $5 each. Payment should be made in the form of check or money order payable to VCU and mailed with your request. Please do not send cash. When delivering a request in person, please pay the cashier before submitting.

What is the difference between official and unofficial transcripts?
Official transcripts are placed in stamped and sealed envelopes.  Unofficial transcripts are available to current students and recent alumni via eServices and from the Student Services Center or the MCV Campus Records and Registration Office.